Monday, March 28, 2011

Lego Ski Resort Fun

Like most kids, my children are crazy about Lego, and like most homes across the country, there is Lego lurking in every nook and cranny of my house.  I try to designate specific areas of the house to Lego playing, but I guess it is just not part of the nature of Lego for it to be confined to a specific space (or I guess, neither is it part of the nature of children to be confined to a specific space in the house!) ...and so Lego has just become part of the decor in our house.  And to be quite honest, I don't know what I will do with myself when part of the vacuuming experience doesn't involve emptying out the canister and fishing out tens of the tiniest pieces of Lego.   But it is all worth it when you see how Lego sparks their imaginations and that the kids can spend hours totally immersed in putting together new and different creations.

Last weekend they had grand visions of transforming our living room into a ski resort, with Lego Ski Guys and chair lifts and gondolas strung across the living room.  When their vision included large sheets of cardboard and vast paper backgrounds,  I we decided that it would be a much better idea to make the ski resort in their bedroom, where they could make their resort as large as they wanted to, and could keep it up as long as they wanted.  And it is always a bonus when one can enter the living room without unsuspectingly being half decapitated by barely visible string hanging from wall to wall to wall!


It was a very easy project - all you need is:
Cardboard
Tape
Large roll of paper
Paint
String

We had all the supplies on hand, except for cardboard, which required a quick trip to the recycle center.   We cut the cardboard into two ski runs and covered them in the paper - since ski runs are white, that was all that needed to be done.  Except, of course both ski runs had to have ski jumps, which were playmobile bike ramps that the kids taped on.

Then we rolled out the paper and painted a mountain landscape for the background.  We taped this to the shelving in the kid's bedroom and left a little shelf space for the catwalk!  Lastly, we hung the string across the mountain peak background for the gondola  and chair lifts to move along.

The kids spent hours making the gondola and chair lifts and putting together the skiers and snowboarders, which is always a good thing for a mother of four :)






update: Linking up here

13 comments:

  1. I love that idea! So simple and cute(I think my husband would love it!).

    Thanks for sharing!

    Krystine

    http://lucyluvinyl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! My son claimed a closet in our newly finished basement and dubbed it "My Lego room!". He would love this idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so fun! We love LEGO too. Good move on setting it up in their room :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect idea. i'm going to suggest it to the boys right now. :) great job by your little builders too!
    -shawnacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. addendum: we just did this (the boys are playing as we speak!), any my boys (0wen and Max said to tell your boys they made an 'awesome set-up.' and they wish they could invite you over to play. :)
    i'll be sure to link back to you if this ends up being a post!
    thanks again for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who knew legoes could be so much fun? I love anything that can keep my kids entertained for HOURS without watching TV :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really quite impressive and it looks like a lot of fun! My kids would love this project too! I am a mother of 4 also! Thank you for linking up to NOBH (grab one of our NOBH buttons when you get a chance :) ) and I also am linked up to LEGO Creation Thursday! I saw that you are following my blog! Thanks! I am now your newest follower! :) Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Very impressive!!!!! My kids saw that and are now wanting to 'lego' their entire room .

    Great job kids!!

    I am now following you via GFC :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha... oh my gosh, how AWESOME is that?!! I LOVE it!!

    Thanks for sharing this at last week's For the Kids Friday Link Party! This week's party is in full swing. I'd love to have you stop by and join in on the fun!

    http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/04/for-kids-friday-6.html

    :)rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool ski resort! Thanks for linking up last week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...